29 March 2011

Dream Big, Battle Hardships and an Open Mind – Pillars to Success

A commencement speech to Philippine Science Highschool - Lanao del Norte

Speaker: Marycris Egot
Written by: Rossel Dragas

Highschool Graduation
To our district superintendent, to our honorable school principal, the supportive teachers, loving parents, guests and the very reason of this activity today - the graduating class of 2011. A pleasant good afternoon to all of you!


Before I will share the rest of my piece to our graduating class, let me first allow thanking our master/s of ceremony for that very honored and humbling introduction to myself. That was just enough to introduce myself!

Anyways, to our graduating class, I would like to request all of you. Please congratulate and give a handshake to the person who sits on your left and then next to your right. (PAUSE) OK, that was good! Together, let us give all of them a round of applause.

You know, all of you are such blessed and thankful people. Not only as a student but also blessed children. You have the support of your family that is why you were able to attend on one of the major milestone of success for every individual - high school graduation. Although, you may think that high school is not yet the end because there is still collegeNot only that, the pressures of increasing qualification for employment that a person should have a master's degree and another doctorate degree, and so on and so forth, perpetual learning? Yes, maybe! However, one thing I could only advise for young people like you, savor each success. Do not be in a hurry. You let yourself enjoy, feel the happiness, appreciate life and rejoice for EVERY success you have achieved!

At this point, I would like to share a story that inspires me a lot. I have learned this way back from my teenage years until I have finished my degree and having found a job that suits to what I have attained.

Dreaming is one of the priceless possessions we can ever imagine. True? Yes it is! Dreaming is free and it is through this that you can set your way to fulfill and achieve your goals in life.

For without dream, you cannot gauge where you are heading. As early as now, start planning for yourself. I would really recommend making as many options as you want so that when you fail at one option, you can still have plan B.

The first story goes like:
An eight-year-old boy approached an old man in front of a wishing well, looked up into his eyes, and asked: "I understand you're a very wise man. I'd like to know the secret of life."

The old man looked down at the youngster and replied: "I've thought a lot in my lifetime, and the secret can be summed up in four words.

The first is think. Think about the values you wish to live your life by.
The second is believe. Believe in yourself based on the thinking you have done about the values you are going to live your life by.
The third is dream. Dream about the things that can be, based on your belief in yourself and the values you are going to live by.
The last is dare. Dare to make your dreams become reality, based on your belief in yourself and your values."
And with that, Walter E. Disney said to the little boy, "Think, Believe, Dream, and Dare."

See how Walt Disney become a reality? If you want something in life, make a difference and make it happen.

I firmly believe poverty is not a hindrance to success. A familiar quote we may have over heard from books, news articles and in TV but you must not underestimate this famous line. When you go through hardships coupled with perseverance, you can do whatever you want for you believe it will take you in good position.

I could recall 12 years ago and on the very first day of high school, I was a fresh student on this same school and have no friends yet. I was really struggling with my subjects for the first few months and just depending on myself. What probably the reason behind this struggle was the great difference of academic status from a public school then up to a science high school.

Despite this, I withstand to surpass those difficulties. From then on, I have expected more difficulties to encounter as I go along the way. I was also thankful for the government, for granting me the scholarship during the four short years of staying here in PhilSci HS. I was glad that up to now, I have seen new graduates who continue to benefit of what our government can offer.

With what you have achieved today, the country is so thankful that you are on the way to become and be one of the nation’s HOPE. Hope for a better change. Who knows? One of you may become one of the country’s top leaders, a renowned scientist and a great philosopher similar to the likes of Galileo, Newton or Stephen Hawking.

As you can see, our country does not have much development in terms of science and technology. We are lagging behind most of the countries even in Southeast Asia. The government cannot offer most of the employment opportunities because we are dependent on the opportunities from other countries and companies owned by foreign countries. Salaries offered are way below the basic needs of man. Can this be enough for food expenses, a comfortable shelter and home, medical supplies, or even in emergency cases? That is why most Filipinos are moving out of the country just to earn those highly valued US dollar, British pound or Singaporean dollar.

Look around you. Open your eyes on the truth. As new graduates from high school, you are about to enter a point in your life where you have to choose on what career to take and what universities you are going to enroll in. I highly recommend think carefully on your chosen career, choose the ones that really inspires you and where you EXCEL the most. Do not think of poverty as a hindrance rather take this as one of the challenge as you FULFILL your life’s greatest dreams. The things you want to do most in your entire lifetime, not pressured by parent’s choice or peers. In the end, it is you, who will be doing that. Speak up, stand firmly and make up your mind. I will be very happy if you can do that for yourself at such an early age.

Lastly, I would like to share one of life's old wisdom before you forget everything and overwhelmed by your emotions. This is a short story about life, which goes like this:

"First I was dying to finish high school and start college.
And then, I was dying to finish college and start working.
And then, I was dying to marry and have children.
And then, I was dying for my children to grow old enough for school so I could return to work.
And then, I was dying to retire.
And now, I am dying......
And suddenly realize, I forgot to live."

See how ironic life is? You may have your dreams and you are going that way, we called “ there”. That “There” is a just part of God’s plan. You just do not have to forget the whole picture that it is life’s small pieces of the puzzle. Live life to the fullest does not mean you have to do what you want; it is merely “Do not wait for tomorrow if you believe you can do it today”. Do the best you can with the 24 hours, 30 days and 12 months that God has created for his humanity.

I hope I have given you a glimpse of what lies ahead of you in your life. Again, congratulations to all of you! I am truly honored to be here and I wish you all the best in your endeavors.


No comments: